Production

Today is exhibition day.

Yesterday we installed and finished printing. I originally had an elaborate plan to shelve my bottle with old cardboard, but without the hammer and nails that became too difficult. I also realized that a shelf would have less relevance to my presentation than placing my bottle on the windowsill. I still wanted a place to move the bottle to look at it in artificial light, so I'm stacking things to make it in the corner. That maintains the recycled quality I was going for with the shelf but is much more simply installed, not to mention much safer for the bottle.

Printing was a long process for everyone who had specific design arrangements. That was primarily me, Nick, and Lucinda, and we spent a good part of the day reprinting and reprinting and reprinting and cutting our final products. I then proceeded to leave all of the cards I had made at 4 North accidentally, so I have to get to work early and finish the writing on the backs before the exhibition later tonight.

I was the second-to-last person to install yesterday afternoon, so I got to see everything up at the end of the day. It was so cool to see all of the group's interests displayed all over the room like that, and to see the way everyone positioned and labelled their objects after I had heard about them for a couple of weeks. I'm excited to hear everyone's presentations and to finish my own. There is something very fulfilling about sitting in a room observing objects you know very little about and then learning to a great extent the way they are interpreted by their owners or those who study them more closely. It's a very conscious moment of understanding, whether it be about design, history, personal experience, or any relationship to an object at all. It's also a very telling process. I think I will probably learn more about my groupmates through the way they present their objects than I have learned in the month before, and that these presentations will inform pretty significantly what I do know already.

Comments

Popular Posts