Jacob Riis was a journalist??

"That one half the world does not know how the other half lives, and it might almost be added, neither does it care" -How the Other Half Lives





I've always found early NY interesting, especially life in tenements. In school, Jacob Riis was my favorite person to learn about. In several of our workshops, we learned about analyzing objects more closely, looking at things that help to communicate a message. I applied what we learned in these workshops to my INDY project by looking at some photos taken by Jacob Riis and observing how space and the use of corners communicated a message of powerlessness in a socioeconomic sense, as well as a societal or hierarchal perspective. Over the course of the week, I have been working on my final piece and pop up exhibition design. I have decided to frame my poem with the two images I chose to represent how life in a tenement stifled a person's voice. Over the course of the project, I learned to analyze the inside of an object just as much as the surface. Also, I learned that Jacob Riis was a journalist which is so cool because I want to be a journalist!!

Comments

Popular Posts