Dza no. 3






Over the weekend- *cough⭆ Bless the weekend, I had an interview with a Tibetan rights activist and professional Tibetan artist, Samte Dhakpa.  I need an perspective insight of some one who was not  a scholar, but a member of the Tibetan community and artist who had studied Tibetan art form (to compare and contrast the aesthetic, religious and historical, and philosophical  aspects of Thangka's). So Saturday morning Samte was jumping off a Brooklyn train to get to Flushing bound train (That darn 7 train). Focus Self, okay so he was rushing to the Tibetan Lotus center at College point to teach a comprehensive class on a particularly advanced ancient Tibetan scripture (Lhemren). He was a little bugged because this was last minute and he had plans to spend the glorious day picnicking with his his wife, children and friends. On top of that I was buzzing him day and night. (literally buzzing his phone about a meeting). 
  So of course when I heard he was on his way to Flushing I imposed on him to let me tag along on this last minute venture. 
I chased him and intersected him at Main street Flushing, where I caught the very bus he was on. (He was going to leave me! ) and followed him to the Lotus center. The Lotus center is a nice buddhist center where I took buddhist recitation classes and beginner classes. 

After he finished his obligations, we walked to the picnic table on the wide field of grass in the back of the building. It was a particularly windy day so my notes and papers were disobedient pets that cared more about the attention of strangers, in this case the wind. 
I felt like a New York times journalist intern that always get's her boss the wrong coffee.My notes had scattered, I was scattered. and he need to get somewhere. I talked to him shortly about his experiences- where/ how he learned art (specifically Thangka painting), what were important events in his life during that time, 

I made some final decisions about the pop up exhibition and what I want on display.
I had some self confections about if and how I would want the thangka to be displayed. I decided that the creative writing piece about the thang ka would be redundant next to the thang ka. So the thangka will be placed fairly high, and the writing piece would be next to it- almost like wall text.

I spent a good meat of my day considering/ figuring out how to create a wall image on photo shop rather than have than bring it in.

Comments

Popular Posts