Day #1: There Are Only SO Many Books I Can Check Out

08/01/2017

Blog Post #1:

The majority of the Teen Thinkers spent the day looking through Folio and (desperately) trying to find articles, books, periodicals, catalogues, etc. on their research topic. I began the day taking pride in the fact that the object I was doing a close study on, Islamic prayer rugs/carpets, was both an object that has some historical significance and is in a sense "researchable" but als o something that I have a personal connection to. For some reason, I connected my personal history with the object to mean that there is only so much information there could be on it out there. But, boy, was I wrong. After doing to a quick search on Folio to locate the general area within the stacks that books consisting of information on Islamic carpets were, I found myself in the lower level, in front of three shelves filled with oversized books on Islamic carpets, Orientals rugs, Persian mats, etc. So much information, alongside intimidation, came with these three shelves. It took most of the day to pick out the titles that I did, each serving a different purpose. One was to literally teach me how to "read" islamic carpets, the other was to show me how carpets looked and differed in different Islamic lands, and the last one depicts how these carpets are showcased today in places like the MET.
Important Chapter for research perhaps???

Comments

Popular Posts